Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Takis Spyropoulos Has Lost Control… Again

Q.  Describe what you look for in your subject, the moment before you snap the picture.

The first thing that I try to build is the trust between my subject and me.  It’s only through this trust that I may be lucky to come closer to the depth of the person that I portray.


Q.  How much time is spent editing and perfecting your photos?

Usually I try not to spend so much time correcting my images. I try to do my corrections while I’m photographing, which saves me time and keeps some truth in my work.

Q.  In your words, when you see a Greek face, what do you see?

I see beauty and strength.I see history ,suffering ,proudness and honor.I see a person ready to fight for a cause,for a belief,for love.

Q.  What non photographic items are in your camera bag?

Things that I can eat… and an apple.

Q. Looking at your portfolio, I would say you have a balance of subject matters, with the exception of places or landscapes, any reason?

My work revolves mostly around people. People inspire and motivate me in a general form. The human nature is what interests me. And that’s why, mostly in my portfolio, you will find pictures and stories of people that have touched me in a way. Currently, most of the work that I’m preparing these last two and a half years and haven’t yet shown in public is outside, in particular – places with a lot of energy. It is about exploring human nature in nature.

Q. Tell me about the I LOST CONTROL AGAIN section of your website.  What happens in this series? Any good stories you can share?

My deepest concern and aim is to try to make pictures that can escape as much as possible from a paper’s two dimensions. That’s why, when it’s possible, I try to get into a type of game with my subjects and let myself and them get involved in a natural way.  So any craziness is not only accepted but also encouraged.





















Q.  How do you get people to loosen up before a shoot?

A warm smile always helps. Deep love and curiosity for human stories also helps. I always start with the best intentions and the person in front of me receives that.

Q.  Whats your secret weapon?

I don’t know if I have a secret weapon, but what I think is important is to have the feeling of what will happen. So, I try to be in the middle of what will happen and what happens. Almost somehow trying to direct it to happen as an outcome that I would be happy with.

Q. Any advice for the beginner photographer?  

Although I still find myself looking for good motivating stories and advices, the only thing I can say to someone, beginner or professional, is to have passion and even obsession with what fulfills him or her and hard work. 

Q. Who would intimidate you in a photo shoot?

A person that comes to me with no interest in what is about to happen. A person with a rude response, wile I am trying to take the best out of him.




Vasilis Xydias


Source: The Goddess of the Hunt


*Thanks Kathy K. for the information!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system

Disqus Shortname